Wednesday 15 October 2008

"Penny for the Guy"

This was the cry from the scruffy little urchins outside Videostar Video Shop, Queen's Park Road. Their attempt at a"guy" was pathetic compared to the guys I have made with proper clothes and newspaper and effort. I'm sorry, but a bin liner with a balloon stuck on the top makes for a pretty anorexic and pathetic-looking Guy. Maybe he was on hunger strike, I don't know.

Anyway, I ignored them as usual and entered the shop. As I walked to the door, an idea struck me. I looked through my change, and there was one shining with the gleam of possibility.

"Penny for the Guy" they repeated as I left the shop.

So I gave them one. Their immediate surprise and excitement was immediately followed by the inevitable groan of disappointment.

Why were they complaining? I wondered to myself. After all, I gave them exactly what they asked for.

No comments: