Wednesday 24 September 2008

Tribute: There is nothing worse than...

For one night only... a tribute to another blog.

Yesterday I left you with the false impression that 'I have nothing going on'. This is never true for me, I should have made the slight alteration of adding 'of interest' in between 'nothing' and 'going on'.

Today I went and taught deaf teenagers. Aha I thought! This will produce enough fodder for a mighty fine blog, with many amusing anecdotes (mocking me more than anything else).

Actually the day was rather bland and dull, being left with about an hours worth of work for 5 hours was a little stressful, but with some impromptu role-play I just about fleshed it out. Actually two of the students also had a limited command of the English language too, so it was like two of my worlds rolled into one... Luckily one other student was easily understandable so a lot went through him.

Anyway, I am distracted. My journey there was eventful only as my keen desire not to overshoot the bus stop led to me undershooting it by two stops. Two stops very far apart.

So the No52 bus which I ruled out catching as 'it gets me there at 8.55 which is 25 minutes later than i need to' merrily drove past me as I approached shortly before my rather confused friend Sarah drove the other way fresh from dropping her child at school. I arrived, slightly damp from spitty rain, at 9am.

The way home was even more eventful. My thought processes as I approached my bus stop on thr coast road after already walking 15 minutes:

"Oh there's a police car by my stop. I wonder what it is doing?"

Upon closer inspection as I drew nearer...

"Oh, that police car is blocking the road so my bus can't get through. I wonder why. How am I going to get home?"

Upon speaking to nice friendly policeman:

"Ok, I'm walking back to Brighton then".

10 minutes later, the reason for my unscheduled bout of exercise and sea air... a rather mangled sports car/bus combination. Let's pray there were no fatalities.

Eventually, I reached Brighton (1 hour later) and caught my bus from the old steine. Thoroughly tired, at the end of my bus journey I descended the stairs to find the bottom deck liberally coated with human vomit.

Nice touch.

2 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

I always hate it when you get to the bus stop and there is something in it. I'm like "how IS my bus going to stop, dangit?" It is one of my worst nightmares.

Tim De Marco said...

That happened to me the other week, and I was about to launch into a tirade of abuse when it reversed and a friend popped their head out of the window and said 'Do you want a lift?'

Almost very embarrassing