Saturday 14 August 2010

Funding our culture

I have been enjoying the annual 6 week holiday that my profession allows (well 5 and a half including considerable preparation time), but I digress into defending my holidays which is not my intention. During my holiday I have taken time to visit a number of places of interest, in my home town, in the countryside surrounding it and in London. Today I visited London for the third time in my holiday and was left pondering the topic of funding our cultural heritage.

I was mainly considering two alternative means of fundraising, both of which have led to the establishment or restoration of some wonderful attractions, but one of them sits with some unease in my conscience.

1. National Trust - a wonderful organisation which I ashamedly say I have been a member of for one year of my adult life, about 4 years ago. I will buy membership soon. Today I visited Sutton House in Hackney, and although I paid the very small fee of £2.90, I realise I should be helping to fund the wonderful work this organisation does.

It is not only what they do, it is sometimes what they prevent. A few years ago, when building the Brighton bypass, they reached Southwick Hill and proposed to cut through the middle of this fine example of nature, but the NT stood up and said "NO" and they had to tunnel. I could go on...

2. Heritage Lottery Fund. I am a long time hater of the National Lottery. It exists outside my consciousness for the most part, except for that brief reminder of the number from all 23 draws that evening just before the start of Match of the Day. A friend of mine once (rather unkindly but not entirely without accuracy) said the lottery was "a tax on the stupid." I prefer to say it is largely a tax on the poor. I do not wish to associate poverty with stupidity, far from it, which is why I tend to distance myself from the former comment.

Perhaps Jarvis Cocker sums it up best (perhaps leaning slightly to my friend's point of view):

Check your lucky numbers.
That much money could drag you under.
Oh, what's the point of being rich?
If you can't think what to do with it?
'Cos your so bleedin' thick?

(Pulp, Mis-shapes, from the album 'Different Class')

Anyway, my hatred of the lottery aside, I must confess before I go on that I did once buy a lottery ticket using the numbers I found on a slip of paper inside a 'bath bomb'. Random, and shameful. I matched no numbers.

I most detest the lottery because it takes from the poor, sells them an impossible dream and lines the pockets of fatcats. And quite often, large amounts of money in the hands of people not counselled in handling it, ruins lives, divides families and arouses envy, jealousy and resentment.

Having said that, the Heritage Lottery Fund has funded many projects I hold personally dear, including the building of a caving complex in our local Scout camp site, and many local and national museums and buildings. In this way, people are paying to help many positive projects off the ground, and society is benefitting.

But does this benefit outweigh the negatives? The fatcats take a large chunk, and those they fool are always left disappointed, either by not winning, or by the lack of satisfaction that winning ultimately provides. It is a tricky question that I haven't completely resolved in my own mind yet. There must be a better way.

No comments: