Thursday 19 August 2010

Toy Story 3

Just a quick mini-post before the main feature. Ironically, a bit like the film which is the topic of this post, which has a mini short film before the main film, but anway, I went to see Toy Story 3 last night.

I went because I have enjoyed the first two films (though curiously, they have never been DVD purchases of mine, with that "oooh I'd watch that again and again" factor). I also wanted to see it because so many people said it was a) funny b) moving.

Now forgive the cynic in me, but sequels are a hard thing to pull off. Shrek has never matched its first film, and even when the second film is better than the first (hello Spiderman), the third somehow messes things up.

Having some idea of the plot gleaned from thr Trailer (Andy is off to College, Toys get donated to a seemingly idyllic daycare centre, but it all goes wrong, and they find out Andy wants them back and set off on a journey to do so.

This is essentially the plot, but it is SO much more complicated than that, with loyalties divided and twists and turns everywhere. The ending which I feared would be too mawkish was in fact incredibly moving, (and in a well-deserved dent to my pride, not exactly what I predicted it would be).

The animation is almost taken for granted, but is obviously top notch, the attention to detail is incredible and the range of new characters introduced is incredible. The script is hilarious, the visual gags keep coming, and there are one or two things that I think would genuinely scare a small child.

But more than anything else, this is an absolutely fantastic story. That is why we go to the cinema essentially, isn't it? To be told an exciting story. Yes it's 3D, isn't it wonderful, it's beautiful, but a film can be beautiful and have some good jokes, but if there isn't a story to tell, ultimately it will be unfulfulling (Hello Shrek the Third).

TS3 kept me on the edge of my seat. kept me laughing, crying and smiling, and I was told a wonderful story as well. I recommend you go and see it immediately if you haven't already done so.

This 'mini-post' has somewhat grown. I guess I have a lot to learn from the geniuses at Pixar about keeping things the right length! I'll blog again a bit later. Toodle pip.

No comments: