Friday 28 July 2017

Perspective.

Yesterday was another really enjoyable day. I welcomed a lovely man who came to survey my flat for a valuation (I'm buying a bigger share, not moving!). This was followed by a pleasant lunchtime swim at my local 15m pool, just 5 minutes walk away - such a blessing to have it nearby. After this, I relived my childhood by getting out my SNES (still the best console ever), and in the evening I went to Nando's with friends from church. We won the quiz a few weeks back and so had £100 to burn, which we did between 6 of us!

It is funny how God can speak to you at the most unexpected time. Yesterday it was lying flat on my back in the water doing armless backstroke to strengthen my legs. The pool was restored two or three years ago after storm damage and they have a glass ceiling. As I focused intently above me, making sure I didn't stray into the path of an adjacent swimmer, I noticed what a beautiful day it was becoming (after an indifferent start). I noticed the blue skies and wispy white clouds floating along. Then I noticed that of the windows in the roof needed a clean, and also there were several 'ornithological indiscretions' (as my Dad would say, most people say 'bird poo'). What a shame I thought, and immediately my focus was on those, not the blue sky. Well at least my focus was on how they had ruined the blue sky view I had previously enjoyed.

God spoke in that moment, (despite my ears being submerged in the water). He said 'Be wary of focusing always on the negative and forgetting the beauty that you see as well.' We live in such an entitled and unappreciative age. I see it more and more, and it is infecting our children too. The more we have, the less we appreciate it, and as soon as something is slightly faulty or not right, we can too often complain, blind to the blessings that sit alongside it.

My train is late,for example. But instead I should be thankful there is more than one train a day, (as is the case in some countries). My favourite program isn't on because of major sport event coverage. I could go on...

If we focus on the positive and being appreciative, it will make us more happy and joyful too. And that leads to strength, for 'The joy of the Lord is my strength'. (Nehemiah 8 v 10). I am sure this will be tested in the days ahead, but I am going into such tests more armed than I was.

Swimming doesn't just have physical benefits.

No comments: