Wednesday 31 December 2008

Christmas Haikus and other nonsense.

In planning my new term, I have decided in the first week to get my class to write Haikus based on their Christmas holidays. A Haiku is a 3 line poem containing 17 syllables. The line/syllable distribution is a rather wonderfully palendromic 5/7/5. Here is an example I wrote exactly a week ago, on Christmas Eve:

Christmas Eve is here
Tomorrow we open gifts
I simply can't wait.

And here is a Haiku which explores more of the true meaning of this marvellous festival we have just enjoyed:

Jesus came to Earth
Laid in a humble manger
Died to save the world.

My blogging slow down has been due to two main factors:

1) Mountains of planning and preparation for the new term which is at present, 5 days away... yikes!

2) A Nintendo DS which Santa kindly left 'neath the tree for me. I have been training my brain, blowing up rival worms and playing lots of little card and board games against Mr 'CPU' whoever that is? Charles Patrick Utworthy? Cecil Peter Ullington?

Happy New Year to all, see you in 2009!

No comments: