Monday 8 December 2008

Very Amusing Turmoil...

I was in Eastbourne today after gaining an idea of how feasible bussing it to work will be after Christmas - early signs discouraging, but anyway.... I found myself walking past Primark, and as I spent 4 years working there part time while studying, I always find a natural curiousity about other branches.

On first impressions, it looked the same - gondolas (I know they are boats in Venice - don't start me) full of messed up clothes, the same wheelie tables with a pile of rubbish on the little tray underneath, (50% staff junk and 50% litter cheekily dumped by the public). The look of boredom and hopelessness on the face of a jumper refolder-er as she realises it is 1 step forward and 5 steps back...

... but wait... something incredibly surprising and unusual is evident...

Let me explain. You know the deal with "....99p?" You know, where £1.99 sounds cheaper than £2.o0. Well it works, even when you know what they're doing.

Well Primark have never bothered with this, seeing as the stuff is dirt cheap anyway.

Let's be open, honest. It's 2 quid! Wow.

The real reason they do this? No faffing around with coppers, giving pennies in change. Transactions move quicker, customers through quicker, more money made, faster queues and happier customers. Also means no complex maths skills needed...

But alas this system has been ripped apart by Mr Brown's VAT antics as there are lots of individual signs displayed around the store for £4.76 £1.96 etc etc

(Prices loosely based on author's memory and intended only to make the point).

Made me chuckle anyway...

No comments: